Laptop catches fire in Haggard Hall office

Western Today staff

A laptop caught fire in an enclosed office on the second floor of Haggard Hall at 10:10 a.m. today. There was no one in the office at the time and no injuries were reported. Occupants of adjacent offices used fire extinguishers to put out the fire and their quick action averted a more significant clean-up.

Damage was contained to the office, including fire damage to the laptop, countertop, lateral file cabinet and the carpet. A building evacuation was not needed. The Bellingham Fire Department responded.

The office is being thoroughly ventilated and cleaned. There does not appear to be a release of hazardous materials.

In a separate incident, a small fire started today at about 1:15 p.m. in a microwave in a lounge in the Ridgeway Delta residential hall. There were no injuries and no damage. The Bellingham Fire Department also responded to that fire as well.