Leaving campus during break? Power down
If your office or workstation will be vacant for even one day during the upcoming break or holiday, please take the following actions to reduce your energy use.
- Shut your windows
- Shut curtains/lower your blinds
- Turn off and unplug your computer and separate monitor
- Shut off power strips
- Unplug all appliances not plugged into power strips, including speakers, printers, copiers, fax machines, coffee makers, microwave and toaster ovens, water coolers, etc.
- Leave refrigerators plugged in, or defrost and clean before unplugging
- Shut fume hood sashes (in lab buildings)
- Leave your thermostat at its normal setting. Building thermostats and radiators are monitored by the FM Energy Management Center, no localized adjustments are needed
- Turn off faucets and report any leaks
- Water your plants
- Turn off your lights
- Have a safe and happy break!
What else can you do?
- Remind students and colleagues to power down before leaving campus
- Turn off lights and shut windows in unoccupied rooms
The 10x12 Program is a collaborative effort organized between WWU Facilities Management and the Office of Sustainability. This program is designed to encourage and implement utility reduction efforts throughout campus using coordinated and strategic methods to reach our common goal: a 10-percent reduction in electricity, natural gas, water consumption, and landfill waste production by the end of 2012. Individual actions can make a significant reduction in total power consumption.
Thank you for participating in the WWU Climate Action Plan. If you have questions or would like more information about the Climate Action Plan or the 10x12 program, please go to http://www.wwu.edu/sustain/10x12 or contact Carol Berry at firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 650-7979.