New onboarding policy approved for new hires
Effective April 10, 2012, the Onboarding and Verifying Eligibility policy (POL-U5400.11) was approved by Western Washington University President Bruce Shepard. Changes to this policy were in response to Western’s commitment to ensure its compliance with applicable laws and to maintain integrity of its hiring process. The Human Resources department recognizes that changes in process can be impacting and therefore requests your feedback at any time so that we may take action to establish more sound and efficient procedures. Your assistance is essential to ensuring a positive onboarding experience for your hires.
Significant changes to the policy and procedures include the following:
- Human Resources will be handling the new hire paperwork for all employees, including student employees
- All hires must report to Human Resources to complete required paperwork on or before the employment start date (date listed on EPAF/PA/Student Employment Salaried and Grant Funded form)
- Hiring authorities must ensure hire paperwork is completed and that any hired/rehired employee performs no work until they have received confirmation from Human Resources; hiring authorities will also be responsible for ensuring employees with limited work authorizations only perform work during the timeframe authorized by Human Resources
- New Employee Orientation is required within the first two weeks of employment
In accordance with the policy, compliance will be thoroughly monitored and managed including termination of employment in cases where the University is in violation of the law. Reinstatement of employment will only occur following the satisfactory completion of hiring paperwork.
Information sessions regarding this updated policy will be held in the next two weeks:
- Friday, May 4, 2012 Haggard Hall 345 10:00 – 11:00
- Wednesday, May 9, 2012 Haggard Hall 345 1:00 – 2:00