Power down during break to save energy
If your office or workstation will be vacant for even one day during the upcoming break, please take the following actions to reduce WWU energy consumption.
Power Down for Break Checklist
- Shut your windows; Shut curtains/lower blinds
- Shut down your computer , and Turn Off the monitor(s)
- Shut off power strips
Unplug appliances including speakers, printers, copiers, fax machines, coffee makers, microwave and toaster ovens, water coolers, etc.
- Leave refrigerators plugged in, or defrost and clean before unplugging
- Shut fume hood sashes (in lab buildings)
- Turn off faucets and report any leaks
- Water your plants
- Turn off your lights
- Have a safe and happy break!
What else can you do?
- Remind students and colleagues to power down computers and turn off monitors
- Turn off lights and shut windows in unoccupied rooms
Through collaborative university-wide effort to encourage and implement utility reduction, individual actions can make a significant reduction in total power consumption.
For more information about Western’s Climate Action Plan, Sustainable Office Certification and the 10x12 program, visit the website or contact Carol Berryat firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-650-7979.