Remember to Power Down for winter break
If your office or workstation will be vacant for even one day during the upcoming holiday, please take the following actions to reduce “phantom” energy consumption while you are away.
• Shut your windows
• Shut curtains/lower your blinds for extra insulation
• Turn off and unplug your computer and your separate monitor
• Shut off power strips
• Unplug all appliances not plugged into power strips, including speakers, printers, copiers, fax machines, coffee makers, microwave and toaster ovens, water coolers, etc.
• Leave refrigerators plugged in, or defrost and clean before unplugging
• Shut fume hood sashes (in lab buildings)
• Leave your thermostat at its normal setting. Building thermostats and radiators are monitored by the FM Energy Management Center, no localized adjustments are needed. For thermostat guidelines, go to http://www.wwu.edu/sustain/10x12/heating.shtml
• Tightly turn off faucets and report any leaks to work control x3420
• Water your plants
• Turn off your lights
• Have a safe and happy break!
What else can you do?
• Remind students and colleagues to power down before leaving campus
• Turn off lights and shut windows in unoccupied rooms