Whatcom READS! selects 'Snow Falling on Cedars' as featured book
Whatcom READS! has announced that David Guterson's "Snow Falling on Cedars" has been selected as the featured book for 2013.
Haunting and atmospheric, "Snow Falling on Cedars" is part love story, part courtroom drama and part historical fiction. Set on an island in Puget Sound in the 1950s, it involves the death of a white fisherman. A Japanese-American man is charged with murder. The book touches on issues of race, war, honesty and betrayal. The book was a best-seller when it came out in 1994 and again when it was adapted into an Oscar-nominated film.
Library News & Events
- Reconciling the Past: The History, Literature and Ethics of Japanese Removal - with Robert Keller, professor emeritus at Western Washington University - 7 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 22, at Fairhaven Library, 1117 12th St.
As a child during World War II, Robert Keller visited Camp Harmony, a temporary internment camp in Puyallup for Japanese Americans. Later in his life, Dr. Keller lived in Germany where he saw how Germans dealt with bleak memories of the war and the holocaust. These experiences helped shape his presentation, "Reconciling the Past: The History, Literature and Ethics of Japanese Removal," where Dr. Keller asks: “How do we come to terms with dark parts of our history?”
- Ethics in Journalism - Panel Discussion facilitated by Paul Piper, librarian for journalism, WWU. Sponsored by Western Libraries -
7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 30, at Fairhaven Library, 1117 12th St.
- Demonstration: The Way of the Tea - 1 to 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 13, at Bellingham Public Library, Lecture Room, 210 Central Ave.
Chadō: the Way of Tea is one of the Japanese ways of training (dō) and is centuries old. This public demonstration provides a little glimpse into the history and practice of the Way of Tea and is sponsored by The Japan Foundation.
- Film Screening: The Pickford Film Center will be screening the film version of "Snow Falling on Cedars." This is a ticketed event; please visit Pickford Cinema website. Wednesday, Feb. 13, at the Pickford Film Center, 1318 Bay St.
Join Award-Winning Author David Guterson at the following events:
- 1 to 3 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19, at the Bellingham Public Library Lecture Room, 210 Central Ave: Discussion of "Snow Falling on Cedars."
- 7 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19, at the Jansen Art Center in Lynden.
- 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 20, at the Syre Center at Whatcom Community College.
- 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, at Western Washington University's Miller Hall Room 138. Author Discussion “On the Art and Craft of Writing” - David Guterson discusses the writing process and craft in this program that is open to all. High school and college English classes/students are especially encouraged to attend!