Getting to know Helen Morgan Parmett
Title: Assistant professor in the Communication Department
What do you love most about your department?: “Everyone makes a big effort to respect each other. Everyone is open and transparent about decision-making processes, and I think that helps foster a sense of collegiality.”
Years at Western: This is her first year.
Originally from: Grew up in Connecticut and lived 10 years in Vermont. Did her graduate work in Minnesota.
One interesting fact about you: “I have been skiing since I was 4 years old. I love to ski and be on the mountains.”
Hobbies: Besides skiing, she likes to hike, go canoeing, play tennis, read and spend time with her family.
Quote you live by: “I made mistakes in the past, things that I blush over yet but I hardly ever regret having being quiet.” -Malvina Reynolds
Favorite restaurant: Since she is new to Bellingham, she chose a Minnesota restaurant called 112 Eatery.
Favorite Bellingham location: Lake Whatcom
Most memorable vacation: Traveling through Europe with her husband when they were first dating.
Favorite WWU memory: “In my class last quarter, I taught critical media literacy. At the end of the quarter, we go around and talk about what we learned in the class and what we would be doing afterward. A lot of the students said that the class changed their perspective. It was a great teaching moment, and I learned a lot from the students as well.”
Currently reading/watching: Reading “Kindred” by Octavia E. Butler and watching “The Good Wife” and “Game of Thrones.”
Projects currently working on: “A number of research projects related to media cities and how television production practices are implicated in local communities and neighborhoods. So I’m looking at shows series like ‘Treme,’ ‘Nashville’ and ‘Dallas’.”
- Krauch Lund Award, Summer Fellowship, University of Minnesota, Summer 2012
- Communication Studies Dissertation Fellowship, University of Minnesota, Fall 2011-Spring 2012
- Top Student Paper, Philosophy of Communication Division, National Communication Association, November 2011
- Graduate Student Scholar Award, Department of Communication Studies, University of Minnesota, May 2011
- Research Award, Department of Communication Studies, University of Minnesota, Summer 2010
- Graduate Research Partnership Program Award, Department of Communication Studies, University of Minnesota, Summer 2009