Lloyd Hungate

After fire, flood, employees' quick actions prevent injury, save money

WWU employee AJ Barse likely saved the university thousands of dollars by putting out this laptop after it caught fire in Haggard Hall recently. Photo courtesy of AJ Barse

Matthew Anderson
Western Today editor

AJ Barse was sitting at his Haggard Hall desk one day when he heard a pop, like a muffled gunshot, from a nearby office.

He got up, peeked in the window (the door was locked) and saw a laptop ablaze, smoke and flames billowing from the front of the keyboard.

Barse, an informational technology specialist with Academic Technology and User Services, grabbed a colleague and told him to call 911, then ran across the room into the Student Technology Center, alerting students and staff to the fire.


Damaged portion of Old Main to close to public today, personal items must be removed

Western Today staff

By the end of business today, Nov. 30, Facilities Management crews working on the renovation of the central portion of Old Main will close the construction zone to public access. Because the area will be off-limits, any personal or business-related items will need to be removed from the area before 5 p.m. today.